Saturday, March 24, 2007

De Wiz

Wednesday morning was another great event. We had a few friends to De Dutch again for a some food and frivolity. Jim, Pam, Randy, Helen, Jenn, Ryan, Scott, and me, had a great time chatting about theatre, golf, computers, vacations... you name it. I'm hardly old, but I've known for quite a few years now, that as I get older these moments are the ones you look back on. When I was younger you think that going out to a club, drinking and partying is how you have a good time. But now I know that waiting in line at a club is not the idea of a good time when I could be at home with some friends talking, and making memories is more fun. I'm glad I have good friends who agree with me. We all stayed and talked for a couple of hours. Jenn was having a good time so she decided to miss half and hour of her class at school to stay a bit longer. Thanks to all that attended, and we hope to get out more people next time. Hey, maybe we should turn it into a fundraiser!!.. well maybe not! but see you there.

On Thursday we went to "The Wiz" at Cap college. We had a few friends in the show, so we were excited to see it. I haven't seen a staged version of the show before, so this was a new one for me also. I had talked to Shelley the choreographer earlier in the day so I knew she would be there to watch some of the show. I'm glad she was there, I haven't seen her for a long time. Ryan and SAS joined us for the show, and we all got ticket together.

The show was... good. Now before you say anything, I actually mean it. I definitely was not my favorite show. The show itself is not that strong. Yes it's the basic story of the Wizard of Oz, but it was intended to be an all black cast, which this show was not. So there was "black" dialogue and situations written into the script that was intended for the time period in which it was written. These things get a little lost on a mostly white, Vancouver audience. If we were black living in New York in the 70s, these things might have rung more true. Now there were other elements that were GREAT! First the band was good, Kevin had a good mix of players, and the score is fun and upbeat with some perfect throw back with Wa Wa guitar and funky string lines. The balanced mix of mics covering the band was good I wished Kevin had stuck around after the show longer so I could tell him myself how much I enjoyed the band. Our friends in the show were great. Michaela Scott as the Lion was adorable, and was perfect for the role. All the dancers were great and I very much enjoyed Shelley's choreography throughout the show. But a special mention goes out to Brandyn Eddy as the Scarecrow. He had a great relaxed style that was exactly what the show needed, his voice sounded great and his movements were ideal. Good Job! And lastly the costumes were very well done also, with a program of so many students, Gillian has done a great job incorporating new parts into shows, and making the students create characters themselves. I enjoyed the "Tornado," and the "Yellow Brick Roads" The idea works and it adds some life an colour into the show.

Finally I would like to say that the biggest shame about the show was the lack of volume from the vocal mics. People often say to me as a music director, is the band to loud or are the actor's not singing clearly. Well I can say in the production of the Wiz that the band was a good level, it's a funky rock show, so the sound should be in your face, but the vocal mics were just too low. I don't know why they didn't turn them up. They didn't seem to have any problems with feedback, they weren't pushing it too much. With a show like this where the vocals for the girls is low most of the time the sound mixer needs to help them get up over the band. That's my only real criticism about the Cap show, besides the show itself, which they can't help. They students did a great job regardless. Can't wait for the next one!

4 comments:

Jenn's Yarn Addiction said...

I agree! And I like your clever amalgamation title :)

Just Jim said...

It was a great time. Too bad we missed WIZ, just too many things happeneing.

How's the 7th or 14th for another De Breakfast.

Ryan said...

it was a GREAT show - no lies there... :) It's always interesting reading a review by someone you saw the same show with :)

Kiltman said...

BLOG - dammit!